Sunday, August 23, 2009

Tell yourself the Truth

In a world where success is defined for some by the possessions we have, one thing that is lacking is self-honesty. Most people ignore the truth or hide it under the rug. How do I know this? I have done it for years, in fact, in some ways I still do this! Even though I weigh 30 Lbs more than I did when I was a college athlete, I still tell myself, "I am not that out of shape!" But the truth is told in the elevated heart rate I have after 16 steps to my 2nd story of my house!

How can we expect to be honest to others when we struggle being honest to ourselves? I bet if a poll was taken about which commandment is the one most often broken, the results would show that lying wins in a landslide. Lying is so easy! Kids start to lie as soon as they can conjugate sentences. We all think we are smarter than those that are leading us!

Hebrews 6:18 Says it is "impossible for God to lie." Now let's look at a few truths God has told throughout the ages. He told the truth when he talked about how corrupt humankind was when he decided to destroy the Earth before the great flood. He told the truth when he was angered that the Israelites had quickly broken their covenant with him and wanted to destroy them. (Exodus 32) He told the truth when he said "This is my son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." (Matthew 3)

Truth #1. God does not lie.
Truth #2. God sent his son Jesus.
Truth #3. Jesus lived a sinless life and was doomed to a cross to atone for our sins.
Truth #4. Jesus offers freedom from the bondage of sin and death.
Truth #5. We all sin.
Truth #6. We are all born with what hollyweird calls "Primal Fear." (The fear of death!)
Truth #7. We all need Jesus to be free from Sin and Death.
Truth #8. There is no fun in Sin.
Truth #9. Being honest with yourself is liberating.

Try something new. Give yourself a spiritual exam. Look inward and tell yourself what you see. When you come across the things you don't like, write them down one by one and find a way to resolve each one, one at a time! Find someone whom you respect and look up to and have them hold you accountable to the things you are resolving.

Maybe you need to lose weight. Maybe you need to stop a bad habit. Maybe you need to listen more. Maybe you need to be home more. Maybe you need help finding a way to "tell yourself the truth."

1 comment:

  1. Bobby

    For me #'s 8 & 9 are pretty fresh. It is certainly liberating to realize it is fun and makes me smile to be liberated from some former sins......and being honest with myself is a tremendously good feeling. Painful at first but so refreshing

    Dad

    ReplyDelete